Devastated Family Send An Important Warning Every Pet Owner Has To Know

A family is warning others after their beloved pet dog ate a homemade Christmas ornament and died just hours later. 

Hope and Larry Pospisil, of Pennsylvania, are mourning the loss of their two-and-a-half-year-old dog Lexi, who fell ill after eating an ornament made out of salt dough that the couple had made with their baby daughter, Alice. 

The salt content of the ornament – which is toxic to cats and dogs – caused Lexi to experience neurological damage and the Pospisils had to put her to sleep. 

 

  • Hope and Larry Pospisil, of Pennsylvania, are mourning the loss of their two-and-a-half-year-old dog Lexi
  • Lexi fell ill after eating an ornament made out of salt dough that the couple had made with their baby daughter, Alice
  • The salt content of the ornament – which is toxic to cats and dogs – caused Lexi to experience neurological damage
  • The Pospisil’s decided to put their beloved dog to sleep
  • They have warned others of the toxic ornaments through a Facebook post that has since gone viral 

Hope and Larry Pospisil (pictured with their baby Alice), of Pennsylvania, are mourning the loss of their beloved two-and-a-half-year-old dog Lexi, who fell ill after eating a homemade Christmas ornament

 

Hope and Larry Pospisil (pictured with their baby Alice), of Pennsylvania, are mourning the loss of their beloved two-and-a-half-year-old dog Lexi, who fell ill after eating a homemade Christmas ornament.
The ornament was made out of salt dough, which is toxic to dogs, and caused Lexi have experience neurological damage

The ornament was made out of salt dough, which is toxic to dogs, and caused Lexi have experience neurological damage.
Hours after Lexi (pictured with Larry) ate the ornament, she began to shake uncontrollably, urinate in her kennel and foam at the mouth    The Pospisils had to humanely euthanize her after she at the ornament (pictured0

Hours after Lexi (left, with Larry) ate the ornament (right), she began to shake uncontrollably, urinate in her kennel and foam at the mouth. The Pospisils had to humanely euthanize her.

In a Facebook post telling her followers about the tragic accident, Hope Pospisil described Lexi’s quick decline from a healthy pooch to a sick dog that was ‘shaking uncontrollably’.

She wrote: ‘With tear filled eyes, I’m writing this as a warning to everyone. Lexi snuck downstairs today around 7-8am and ate Alice’s salt dough ornament (she NEVER does this).

‘We were, of course, so mad at her. She seemed to act normal. We left here at 1pm, thinking she was ok. When we got home around 5pm, she had peed all through her kennel and was shaking uncontrollably.

‘She couldn’t even make it back up the stairs, as she fell backwards. We immediately took her to the Vets & we had only 2 options because her body temp was 107 and already caused neurological damage.’

Hope’s husband Larry wrote in a separate Facebook post that ‘Lexi was consciously seizing in her kennel and urinating and foaming at the mouth.

‘We rushed her to the vet but it was already too late. She had already received brain damage from the high sodium levels of the salt that was in the dough for the ornament.’

Hope Pospisil said in a heartbreaking incident about Lexi's death that the dog was very close with the couple's daughter, Alice (pictured)
Hope Pospisil said in a heartbreaking incident about Lexi’s death that the dog was very close with the couple’s daughter, Alice.

Hope Pospisil said that 'Alice & Lexi LOVED each other and she was the best dog anyone could ask for', as she warned others about the ornament

Hope Pospisil said that ‘Alice & Lexi LOVED each other and she was the best dog anyone could ask for’, as she warned others about the ornament.

Hope Pospisil said that the couple could take Lexi ‘to A-Vets & possibly,if she even made it that far, save her but be a completely different dog or put her to sleep’.

‘With heavy hearts, we decided to put her to sleep,’ Hope wrote. ‘We are so heartbroken for not only her but for Alice because Alice & Lexi LOVED each other and she was the best dog anyone could ask for.

‘So please, if you make these ornaments, watch your animals around them. This is not something we ever thought we would have to do to our 2.5 year old dog.

‘Rest in Peace sweet Lexi girl. We miss you so much.’

Hope Pospisil’s Facebook post went viral – receiving more than 81,000 shares. She thanked everyone for their support and said she’s grateful that Lexi’s story is being shared across the world.

‘That’s insane to us but I’m so happy that Lexi is being a voice for all other dogs that could have had the same outcome. We love and miss you so much Lexi. We love you forever. Thank you all again,’ she wrote in another Facebook post.

The Pospisils hope that their message will raise awareness of salt dough ornaments and the toxicity they have to animals

The Pospisils hope that their message will raise awareness of salt dough ornaments and the toxicity they have to animals.

(Source)

Please click and share with your loved ones and fellow animal lovers!