As Peanut’s owner, Reddit user Choices63, explains online: “We had an overnight guest. Our chihuahua found his stash, ate an entire weed-laced cookie,” adding, “He actually dug it out of a duffel bag. Had to work hard to get it. It was the cookie he was after, not the weed.”

Apparently, no one’s ever told Peanut about edibles.

yXydfvCl (4)

That sudden intake of THC didn’t have a pleasing effect on the little pup. As the drug set in, he was unable to stand, and began acting all jittery and paranoid. It was not only a bad high, however, it was a health hazard .

Fortunately, Peanut’s family did just the right thing.


“We took him to a local university vet medical school,” writes Choices63. “He only weighs 6 lbs so we were concerned about how much he had, plus there was some chocolate in the cookie so just wanted to be safe. What was funny is they weren’t phased at all — clearly not the first time they had seen a stoned animal.”

There, vets induced Peanut to vomit up what was left of the purloined cookie and was fed activated charcoal to absorb what toxins remained in his body. Ten hours later, Peanut was discharged. “He was pretty normal by the time we got him home,” Choices63 writes.


With legal marijuana becoming increasingly available to consumers, oftentimes baked into tasty confections, cases of stoned dogs have been on the rise. That’s why it’s crucial, now more than ever, that pet owners understand the dangers  and what to do about it.

“Marijuana toxicity is no laughing matter and if people note their dogs have gotten into it they should seek veterinary care immediately,” veterinarian Robert Proietto told The Dodo in an earlier post. “It is also important to tell the veterinarian the truth. No veterinarian is going to judge their client for being honest and we will never contact the police. We just want to know what is going on so we can treat the pet to the best of our ability.”


Click and share with your loved ones and fellow animal lovers!