Traveling with a cat can be a stressful experience, both for you and your feline friend. One of the essential items you’ll need to make the journey as smooth as possible is a cat carrier. But not all carriers are created equal, especially when it comes to car travel. In this article, we’ll be discussing the best cat carriers for car travel and what you should look for when making a purchase.
When it comes to car travel, safety is the most critical factor to consider. You want a carrier that’s sturdy and secure, with features like a seatbelt strap or a locking mechanism to prevent escape. Comfort is also essential, as a stressed-out cat can make for a miserable trip. Look for carriers with enough space for your cat to move around and stretch out, as well as good ventilation to keep them cool and calm.
Another important factor to consider is ease of use. You don’t want to be fumbling with a complicated carrier while trying to wrangle a reluctant cat. Look for carriers with easy access points, like a top-loading design or a large front door, and consider the weight of the carrier if you’ll be carrying it for any length of time.
After researching and testing several cat carriers, we’ve narrowed down the top options for car travel. Whether you’re embarking on a long road trip or just a quick visit to the vet, these carriers will keep your cat safe, comfortable, and calm on the journey.
Top 3 Best Cat Carriers for Car Travel
We understand that traveling with your feline friend can be a daunting task, especially when it comes to finding the right carrier. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of the best cat carriers for car travel to make your journey as comfortable and stress-free as possible. Our team has thoroughly researched and tested each product to ensure that they meet our high standards for safety, durability, and overall quality. Check out our top picks below.
If you’re looking for a spacious and sturdy cat carrier for car travel, the Petskd Large Pet Carrier is worth considering.
- The extra-large size of 24″ x 17″ x 17″ makes it perfect for large cats or multiple small cats.
- The carrier can be easily folded and stored, and it comes with extra pockets for folded litter boxes and bowls.
- The carrier is designed for car travel and can be strapped to the front car seat with seat anchors and a shoulder strap to keep your pet restrained for safety while driving. It also includes a travel litter box and a collapsible water bowl for easy feeding and poop disposal while traveling.
- The carrier is designed for pets up to 55 pounds, so it may not be suitable for very large dogs.
- The carrier is relatively heavy at 6.75 pounds, which may make it difficult to carry for some people.
- The litter pan can be a bit difficult to clean because of the claws of the pets.
We found the Petskd Large Pet Carrier to be very spacious and sturdy, and the included litter box and collapsible water bowl were very convenient for car travel. The carrier was also easy to fold and store when not in use. However, the carrier can be a bit heavy and may not be suitable for very large dogs. Overall, we would recommend this carrier for anyone looking for a spacious and convenient carrier for car travel.
If you are looking for a comfortable and secure way to travel with your cat, the SPORT PET Large Pop Open Kennel is an excellent option.
- Creates a cozy Cove for right in the back seat of your car or truck.
- Sturdy and durable gate entry on each side plus mesh panel sides keep your pet in view.
- Includes an adjustable security leash for clipping to a harness.
- Only suitable for crate-trained pets.
- Not designed to withstand constant clawing and chewing.
- Not safer than placing your pet on the back seat alone in the case of an accident.
We recently used this carrier for a long-distance move and found it to be a lifesaver. The kennel stretches straight across the back seat of your car or truck, creating a comfortable space for your pet and keeping all the hair off your seats. The locking metal gates on each side of the car are framed in heavy-duty plastic, and the mesh side panels let fresh air in while giving you a clear view of your pet.
The adjustable security leash is an excellent feature that allows you to clip your cat to a harness, keeping them safe and secure while you travel. The SPORT PET Large Pop Open Kennel is easy to set up and secures to headrests to stay in place throughout the trip.
While the crate is built to last and for easy care, it isn’t designed to withstand constant clawing and chewing. It is suitable for pets that are comfortably crate-trained only. Additionally, the car seat pet crate is no safer than placing your pet on the back seat alone and isn’t additional protection in the case of an accident.
In summary, if you are looking for a comfortable and secure way to travel with your cat, the SPORT PET Large Pop Open Kennel is an excellent option. Its sturdy and durable design, adjustable security leash, and mesh panel sides make it a great choice for crate-trained pets.
If you’re looking for a spacious, lightweight, and versatile cat carrier for car travel, the One for Pets Portable 2-in-1 Double Pet Kennel/Shelter is a great option to consider.
- The built-in straps allow safe connection to a seatbelt, ensuring your cat’s safety during car travel.
- It’s easy to set up and fold flat in seconds, making it convenient for storage and travel.
- The pad cover is removable and washable, making it easy to clean and maintain.
- The carrier may be too large for some cars, so be sure to measure your car’s interior before purchasing.
- The carrier may not be suitable for larger cats or multiple cats, as they may not have enough room to move around comfortably.
- The hammock is optional, so you may need to purchase it separately if you want to use it.
We recently used this carrier for a road trip with our two cats, and it worked really well. The carrier is lightweight and easy to carry, and the zippered mesh door in the front and at one or both ends makes it easy to access your cat. We also appreciated the multiple entrances, as it allowed us to choose the best one for our cats’ comfort.
One of the best features of this carrier is its versatility. You can use it as a pet carrier/dog carrier with multiple entrances, or as a double kennel with three ways to use it. You can use it as two connected but divided compartments, as one big space by unzipping the center zipper which divides the walls, or detach the Double Kennel into two Single Kennels. This makes it a great option for both car travel and indoor/outdoor use.
Overall, we would highly recommend the One for Pets Portable 2-in-1 Double Pet Kennel/Shelter for anyone looking for a spacious, lightweight, and versatile cat carrier for car travel. Just be sure to measure your car’s interior and consider your cat’s size and comfort before purchasing.
Petskd Protable Double Cat Carrier 2in1 Cat Car Travel Carrier 36x17x17in Dual Large Cat Carrier with Litter Box Pet Travel Carrier for Multiple Cats Soft Collapsible Carrier for Long Distance Travel
If you’re looking for a cat carrier that can accommodate multiple cats, the Petskd Protable Double Cat Carrier is a great option. It comes with a litter box, food bag, foldable bowls, name cards, and hammocks, making it a complete package for your cat’s travel needs.
- The cat carrier has zippers on every side, allowing for freely combinable carriers.
- The metal mesh construction provides excellent ventilation for your cats.
- The carrier comes with a car safety buckle, locker zipper, and inside safety strap, making it a safe travel option for your cats.
- The carrier is quite large, which may make it difficult to store when not in use.
- The metal mesh can be noisy when the carrier is moved around.
- The carrier’s collapsible litter box may not be suitable for larger cats.
We recently used the Petskd Protable Double Cat Carrier for a long-distance road trip with our two cats. The carrier was easy to set up and had plenty of space for both cats to move around. The metal mesh construction provided excellent ventilation, ensuring that our cats remained comfortable throughout the trip. We also appreciated the included litter box, which made it easy to keep the cats’ area clean.
However, we did notice that the carrier’s metal mesh can be noisy when moved around, which may be an issue for some cats. Additionally, the carrier’s collapsible litter box may not be suitable for larger cats, as it’s quite small. Overall, though, we were impressed with the Petskd Protable Double Cat Carrier and would recommend it to anyone in need of a multi-cat travel carrier.
If you’re looking for a cat carrier that is perfect for car travel, the A.FATI Pet Crate is an excellent choice. It has a lot of features that make it a great option for road trips and hotel stays with your cat.
- The portable folding trash can help your cat have enough space during travel.
- It is designed using premium materials, guaranteeing long-lasting use.
- The litter box features a leak-proof zippered top for no leaks and no odor.
- The litter box is not hard-sided and doesn’t come with anything to keep it up.
- It is a bit on the heavy side, so it might be difficult to carry for long periods.
- It is a bit expensive compared to other cat carriers.
We recently used this carrier on a long road trip and were really impressed with it. The carrier is spacious enough for our cat to move around and stretch out during travel. The portable folding trash can is a great feature that ensures that our cat has enough space to move around and doesn’t feel cramped.
The cat carrier is made of premium materials, so it is very sturdy and durable. The litter box features a leak-proof zippered top, so there are no leaks or odors. The panoramic window of the cat carrier with a sturdy metal frame provides optimal visibility for our cat to look out and enjoy the view.
The carrier can be folded for easy storage, and it also comes with extra storage space for pet supplies. We really appreciate the lock zippers that prevent pets from opening or tampering with them. Moreover, it includes a secure leash inside to prevent any unexpected escapes.
Overall, we highly recommend the A.FATI Pet Crate for Car Traveling with Collapsible Litter Box for anyone looking for a high-quality and spacious cat carrier for car travel. It is a bit on the expensive side, but the premium features and materials make it worth the investment.
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly cat carrier that is perfect for car travel, the Vceoa Carriers Soft-Sided Pet Carrier for Cats is a great option.
- The carrier is made of durable polyester material that can withstand wear and tear.
- The removable base insert provides a solid surface for your cat to stand on during the journey.
- The adjustable shoulder strap can also be used as a seatbelt to keep the carrier in place.
- The carrier is only suitable for cats weighing up to 16 lbs, so it may not be ideal for larger cats.
- The carrier may not fit under the seat of all airlines, so be sure to check with your airline before flying.
- Some users have reported that the zippers are not very durable and may break easily.
Overall, we recommend the Vceoa Carriers Soft-Sided Pet Carrier for Cats for car travel. It is affordable, lightweight, and easy to carry. The mesh windows provide ventilation, and the cozy fleece pet bed offers a comfortable sleeping space for your cat. However, if you have a larger cat or plan to fly with your cat, you may need to consider other options.
If you’re looking for a spacious cat carrier for your furry friend, the Prutapet Large Cat Carrier might be the perfect fit for you.
- The carrier is extra-large and can accommodate large cats or several cats up to 55 pounds.
- It comes with safety buckles that can be connected to the safety belt to secure the carrier to the seat, making it a safe “car seat” for your cat.
- The carrier includes a travel little box and a collapsible water bowl that solves pet eating and poop problems during traveling.
- The carrier is relatively heavy, weighing 7.5 pounds, which might not be ideal for some pet owners.
- The metallic frame might make it difficult to store in small spaces.
- The carrier’s lamb fluff bottom might not be suitable for cats with allergies.
We used the Prutapet Large Cat Carrier for a recent road trip with our cat and were impressed with its size and durability. The carrier’s metallic frame and 600D Oxford fabric made it strong and durable, and we felt confident that our cat was safe in it. The carrier’s multiple access points and mesh windows provided excellent ventilation and allowed our cat to see outside, making her feel more comfortable during the trip.
The carrier comes with a travel little box and a collapsible water bowl, which were convenient for feeding and watering our cat during the trip. We also appreciated the carrier’s extra storage space for pet supplies. When we arrived at our destination, we were able to fold the carrier for easy storage.
Overall, we highly recommend the Prutapet Large Cat Carrier for pet owners looking for a spacious and durable carrier for car travel.
If you’re looking for a versatile and spacious pet carrier for your furry friends, the Wakytu 2-in-1 Pet Carrier may be the perfect fit for you.
- The carrier can be used as one large pet cage for medium dogs or two separate carriers for two pets.
- It comes with a set of foldable pet food bowls, tent stakes, and a storage bag, making it convenient for outdoor camping and travel.
- The carrier is well-ventilated and washable, with a hard panel to stand lying inside and adjustable hammocks for cats.
- The carrier is made of plastic, which may not be as durable as other materials.
- The product dimensions may not fit in smaller car spaces.
- The carrier may be too large for one small pet.
We recently tried out the Wakytu 2-in-1 Pet Carrier for a weekend camping trip with our two cats. The carrier was easy to assemble and disassemble, and the adjustable padded and anti-slip shoulder strap made it comfortable to carry.
The carrier’s 4 sides breathable and anti-scratch mesh window provided good ventilation for our cats, and the reinforced plastic sheet on the top and stronger steel material on the frame kept the carrier’s shape from collapsing. The washable mat with a hard panel was also a nice touch.
We used the carrier as one large pet cage for our cats to sleep and play in the house, and as a pet car carrier by buckling it on the back seat belt. The tent stakes also made it more stable on grass or beach for outdoor camping.
Overall, we highly recommend the Wakytu 2-in-1 Pet Carrier for its versatility and convenience for outdoor camping and travel with your furry friends.
When it comes to choosing the best cat carrier for car travel, there are several factors to consider. We’ve put together a list of features to look for to help you make an informed decision.
Size and Comfort
The carrier should be the right size for your cat to move around comfortably. Your cat should be able to stand up, turn around, and lie down easily. The carrier should also have adequate ventilation and be made of materials that are comfortable for your cat.
Safety is a top priority when it comes to car travel with your cat. Look for carriers that have secure latches and locking mechanisms to prevent your cat from escaping during transport. The carrier should also be sturdy and durable to protect your cat in case of an accident.
Ease of Use
Choose a carrier that is easy to load and unload your cat from. Look for carriers with wide openings and easy-to-use latches. The carrier should also be easy to clean and maintain.
Other factors to consider include the carrier’s weight, portability, and storage. If you plan on traveling frequently with your cat, a lightweight and portable carrier may be a better choice. Additionally, consider how the carrier will fit in your car and where you will store it when not in use.
By considering these factors, you can choose the best cat carrier for car travel that meets your needs and keeps your cat safe and comfortable during transport.
Frequently Asked Questions
What features should I look for in a cat carrier for long-distance car travel?
When choosing a cat carrier for long-distance car travel, look for carriers that are spacious enough for your cat to move around comfortably. The carrier should also be well-ventilated to ensure your cat’s comfort during the trip. Additionally, consider carriers that have a sturdy construction and secure locking mechanisms to keep your cat safe and secure while in transit.
How do I choose a cat carrier for a large breed?
For larger cat breeds, look for carriers that are spacious enough to accommodate their size and weight. It’s important to choose a carrier that is sturdy and has a strong base to support your cat’s weight. Additionally, consider carriers that have a comfortable lining and good ventilation to ensure your cat’s comfort during the trip.
What are vet-recommended cat carriers for safe car travel?
Vet-recommended cat carriers for safe car travel include carriers that are sturdy, well-ventilated, and have secure locking mechanisms. Look for carriers that have been crash-tested and approved by safety organizations to ensure your cat’s safety in the event of an accident.
Are there cat carriers available that include a built-in litter box?
Yes, there are cat carriers available that include a built-in litter box. These carriers are convenient for longer trips where you may not have access to a litter box. However, it’s important to ensure that the carrier is still well-ventilated and comfortable for your cat during the trip.
What are the best cat carriers for air travel compatibility?
The best cat carriers for air travel compatibility are carriers that meet airline regulations for size and weight. Look for carriers that are sturdy, well-ventilated, and have secure locking mechanisms. Additionally, consider carriers that have a comfortable lining and good ventilation to ensure your cat’s comfort during the flight.
How can I ensure my cat’s comfort and safety in a carrier during a car trip?
To ensure your cat’s comfort and safety during a car trip, make sure the carrier is spacious enough for your cat to move around comfortably. Additionally, ensure that the carrier is well-ventilated and has a comfortable lining. It’s also important to secure the carrier in the car using a seatbelt or other secure method to prevent it from moving around during the trip. Finally, make sure to provide your cat with plenty of food, water, and litter during the trip to keep them comfortable and happy.